5.05.2008

Define Your Values

create logo Defining your values is an exercise in understanding what is important to you and how you prioritize that which is important to you. Defining your values is likely something you’ve already done at least informally in that values drive what you do day-to-day and long rang plans that you make. I’d suggest there are two levels of values: qualities, non material, which you value in others and yourself and material things that you value. Below are a couple of questions to bring forth your values into awareness and into conscious present space. Having your values in the present is a reminder to powerfully choose that which is important and drop the rest. Decisions can be confusing if you aren’t in touch with your inner, non material, values and don’t have a system of prioritization. Questions to ask yourself to help determine your inner values: -What do I admire in myself? -What do I admire in my mate and/or close friends? -What legacy must I impart on my children? Once you’ve identified the inner values it is helpful to examine your material values. These material values influence your day-to-day choices and ultimate decisions. Two questions that will provide a good guide: -How do I spend my discretionary time? -How do I spend my discretionary money? The things in your life that you devote precious time and money towards are likely things that have great importance and value. Understanding these values helps you to make powerful choices in your life. For example, if travel is important to you then you will spend time, money and energy on travelling, travelling gear, books, maps and other related items. Knowing that this is a value of yours helps you to put into perspective the relative unimportance of other decisions thrown your way. Deep down we have a sense of our values, but taking a few minutes to outline them can help you to put the small choices and decisions into perspective and minimize their impact upon you. Later this week, I’ll be continuing the theme of helping you streamline your choices and decisions by focusing on prioritizing your goals. Check out other articles on MargaretPundmann.com: Globalized Workplace Integrity - We Are Our Word Connect to me: Margaret Pundmann's LinkedIn.com Profile Margaret Pundmann's MySpace.com Profile